Facebook was showing me EVERY “like” and EVERY “comment” made by EVERY one of my Facebook friends. I want to keep up with what’s going on in my friends’ lives but that was ridiculous. Here’s how I removed most of the clutter:
- In the left column of your feed there’s a heading called “Friends.” In it you’ll see lists like “Close Friends,” “Family,” etc. Click the word “Friends.”
- You’ll now see your Friend Lists. Some of these you might have created yourself (like adding select friends to your “Close Friends” list), but Facebook creates some automatically.
- Click “Acquaintances.” These should theoretically be your non-close friends and consequently the ones you want the fewest amount of updates from.
- Near the top towards the right you should see a button that says “Manage List.” Click that button, then from the drop-down menu select “Choose Update Types…”
- Deselect “Comments and Likes.”
You can return to return to step 1 and edit your update types for other lists, but for me doing this for the “Acquaintances” list was enough to get my feed under control.
Although it took a bit of digging around to figure all this out, I actually like the way Facebook handles friend lists and lets you filter what you see from each list. If you ever want to add a friend to a list, hover your mouse over their name, then click the “Friends” button from the pop-up window and click “Add to another list…”